Sarah Clark Miller
Director of Graduate Studies
Associate Professor of Philosophy, Bioethics, and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
222 Sparks Building
B.A., Philosophy and Modern Dance, Haverford College, magna cum laude, with departmental honors in Philosophy
M.A., Philosophy, Stony Brook University
Ph.D., Philosophy, Stony Brook University
Areas of Specialization
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Feminist Theory
- “Toward a Relational Theory of Harm,” Journal of Global Ethics 18, no. 1 (2022): forthcoming.
- “Neoliberalism, Moral Precarity, and the Crisis of Care,” Care Ethics in the Age of Precarity, edited by Maurice Hamington and Michael Flower (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2021), 48–67.
- “Criticizing Consent: A Reply to Susan Brison,” Social Philosophy Today 37 (2021).
- “From Vulnerability to Precariousness: Examining the Moral Foundations of Care Ethics," International Journal of Philosophical Studies 28, no. 2 (2020): 644-661.
- “A Feminist Engagement with Forst’s Transnational Justice,” in Justification and Emancipation: The Political Philosophy of Rainer Forst, edited by Amy Allen and Eduardo Mendieta (University Park, PA: Penn State University Press, 2019), 125-144.
- “Beyond Silence, Towards Refusal: The Epistemic Possibilities of #MeToo,” APA Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy 18, 3 (Fall 2019): 12-16.
- “Resisting Sexual Violence: What Empathy Offers,” in Analyzing Violence Against Women, ed. Wanda Teays (New York: Springer, 2019), 63-77.
- “Reconsidering Dignity Relationally,” Ethics and Social Welfare 11, no. 2 (2017): 108-121. Reprinted in Examining Injustice: Foundational, Structural and Epistemic, ed. Christine M. Koggel (New York: Routledge, 2018).
- “Feminist Ethics” in Philosophy: Feminism, ed. Carol Hay (Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan, 2017), 189-213.
- “Relational Ethics,” with Thaddeus Metz, The International Encyclopedia of Ethics, ed. Hugh LaFollette (Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2016).
- “The Moral Meanings of Miscarriage,” Journal of Social Philosophy 46, no. 1 (Spring 2015): 141-157.
- The Ethics of Need: Agency, Dignity, and Obligation (New York: Routledge Press, 2012).
- “A Feminist Account of Global Responsibility,” Social Theory and Practice 37, no. 3 (July 2011): 391– 412.
- Sexual Violence and Sexual Agency (book manuscript)
- Relational Ethics: On the Meaning of Vulnerability and Interdependence for Moral Life (book manuscript)
- "Epistemic Refusal" (article)
- "Ultrasound's Risks: Relational, Social, Epistemological" (article)
- Relational Ethics
- The Ethics and Politics of Violence
- Ethical Theory
- Cosmopolitanism and Global Responsibility
- Introduction to Bioethics
- Introduction to Ethics
- The Ethics and Politics of Vulnerability