Penn State is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to programs, facilities, admission, and employment without regard to personal characteristics, not related to ability, performance, or qualifications as determined by University policy, or by state or federal authorities. For more information on diversity programs at Penn State, please visit the website of the Vice Provost for Educational Equity.
All applications are administered and processed on-line through the Pennsylvania State University Graduate School. If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit that website at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/new-applicants/requirements-for-graduate-admission/.
If you have read the Graduate School and program requirements and are ready to apply, you may proceed to the application at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/apply/.
The application deadline for the Department of Philosophy is: 11:59 P.M. on January 1, 2023.
Basic Requirements for Admission Applications:
- Completed Graduate School Application. (fee information is available at graduate school.)
- All international applicants must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores as proof of English proficiency as described on the Graduate School’s webpage at: http://gradschool.psu.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/new-applicants/requirements-for-graduate-admission/
- One official transcript from each institution attended.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in last two years of undergraduate study.
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to assess academic and professional promise.
- Maximum of one to two pages indicating purpose and intent of undertaking graduate study in philosophy at Penn State.
- Sample of written work.
The following application materials are submitted electronically. To manage and upload your documents, go to: http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/apply/
- Curriculum Vita
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
- Official transcript from each institution attended
In addition, individuals listed in your application as providing a letter of recommendation will be instructed to upload their letter via the Graduate School’s Reference Submission Portal.
The following application materials can be submitted electronically from ETS using Institution Code 2660:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Aptitude Test Scores. PLEASE NOTE: As of December 2018, GRE scores are neither required nor considered for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination score
Although all application materials should be submitted electronically, please use this address if necessary:
Philosophy Graduate Assistant
234 Sparks Building
University Park, PA 16802
If applicants have specific questions about the program or the application process, they should contact the Recruitment Officer or the Director of Graduate Studies. Please check the FAQ page before calling or emailing.