DuPont/Class of 1949 Professor of Philosophy
and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
240 Sparks Building
Ph.D., University of California
Areas of Specialization
- Feminist Philosophy
- Liberatory Epistemologies
- Approaches to Intersectionality
- Philosophy of Science with an emphasis on epistemological and ethical issues
- Coupled Epistemic-Ethical Issues in Scientific Practice, with particular emphasis on climate science
- Founding Director, Rock Ethics Institute
- Racial Climates, Ecological Indifference: An Ecointersectional Approach. Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2022
- Nancy Tuana and Charles Scott, Beyond Philosophy: Nietzsche, Foucault, Anzaldúa. Indiana University Press, 2020.
Recent Journal Special Issues
- Toward Decolonial Feminisms: Tracing the Lineages of Decolonial Thinking through Latin American/Latinx Feminist Philosophy, with Emma Velez, Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, Special Issue, 2020.
- Decolonial Feminisms, with Emma Velez, Critical Philosophy of Race, Volume 8, Issue 1-2, 2020.
- Race in the Age of the Anthropocene, with Robert Bernasconi, Critical Philosophy of Race, Volume 7, Issue 1, 2019.
- Idioms of Ethical Life, with Charles Scott, Epoché, Special Issue, 2017.
- Non-racialism, Color-blindness, and Post-Racialism: Critical Reflections from South Africa and the US, with Robert Bernasconi, Gabeba Baderoon, Kathryn Gines, and Melissa Steyn. Critical Philosophy of Race, Special Issue, Volume 5, Number 2, 2017.
- NSF Coastlines and People Program
- Megalopolitan Coastal Transformation Hub, $19.9 million
- Tuana, Senior Personnel and Subaward PI (subaward total, $981,882) Awarded 8/2022
- Penn State Strategic Plan Seed Grant Penn State Initiative for Resilient Communities (PSIRC): A Pilot to Develop Community-Based Solutions to Riverine Flooding, $250,000, Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 1/2019
- Humanities Without Walls: The Work of the Humanities in a Changing Climate. Arendt on Earth: From the Archimedean Point to the Anthropocene, $138,360. Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 1/2018
- NSF CNH-L Visualizing Forest Futures Under Climate Uncertainty: Integrating Indigenous Knowledge into Decision Support Tools for Collaborative Decision Making, $1.7 million. Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 8/1/16
- Worldwide University Network and Research Collaboration Award, University of Western Australia. Non-market Loss and Damage Evaluation Under Climate Change, $30,000. Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 1/2015-12/2017
- NSF Sustainability Research Network Sustainable Climate Risk Management Strategies, $11.9 million. Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 9/2012-10/2017