David works on American political philosophy, especially the impact on German Idealism and Romanticism on the Transcendentalists. David's other interests include ethics, philosophy of law, pacifism, and the philosophical implications of digital technology.
Areas of Specialization
- Social and Political Philosophy (esp. the 19th century)
- American Philosophy (esp. Transcendentalism)
- American Political Philosophy
- The Ethical Life
- Philosophy of Law
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Ethical Leadership
- Nineteenth Century Philosophy
- American Philosophy
- Lincoln’s Romantic Political Thought: Feeling, Genius, and Authenticity.” The History of Political Thought as a Living Tradition. Edited by Aaron D. Hoffman. Lanham: Lexington Books. Forthcoming.
- “‘The central urge in every atom’: Whitman’s Atomism and Schelling’s Naturphilosophie.” Walt Whitman Quarterly Review 36, nos. 2/3 (Winter/Spring 2019): 1-31.
- People Just as Fathomless as Myself: Walt Whitman’s Personalism as Political Theory, Book manuscript.