Professor of Philosophy Emeritus
247 Sparks Building
Office Phone: (814) 865-1674
- B.A. (summa cum laude), Oglethorpe University and Gymnasium, Zürich (Switzerland)
- Ph.D., Boston College
Areas of Specialization
- Contemporary European philosophy
- Continental Rationalism
- Ancient philosophy
- Philosophy of art
- Philosophy and literary theory
- Modern Philosophy
- Ancient Philosophy
- Evil and the Holocaust
- "Revisting the Tragic Theater with Plato, Aristotle, and Hölderlin", Festschrift for Jacques Taminiaux, ed. Michael Gendre, forthcoming.
- "The Aesthetic Dimension of Paideia in Plato's Republic", Kostas Boudouris and Mikovja Knešević, eds., Paideia: Education in the Global Era, vol. II (Athens: Ionia Publications 2008), 77-87.
- "Being-in-the-World and the Phenomenon of World", Robert C. Scharff, ed.,The Blackwell Guide to Heidegger's Being and Time, forthcoming.
- "Rethinking Parmenides in Dialogue with Reiner Schūrmann", The Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal, forthcoming.
- "Empedocles' Philosophy of Nature as Mandating Non-Violence," Kostas Boudouris, ed., Values and Justice in the Global Era (Athens: Ionia Publications, 2007), pp. 91-101.
- "Time's Agonal Spacing in Hölderlin's Philosophy of Tragedy," Ferda Keskin, ed., Contemporary Philosophy, Vol. II (Ankara: Philosophical Society of Turkey, 2007).
- Epochal Discordance: Holderlin's Philosophy of Tragedy SUNY Press, 2006
- Vision's Invisibles: Philosophical Explorations Suny Press, 2003
A book on expression in Merleau-Ponty's philosophy.