DuPont/Class of 1949 Professor of Philosophy
Nancy Tuana Directorship in the Rock Ethics Institute
240 Sparks Building
Office Phone: (814) 865-1653
- Ph.D., University of California
Areas of Specialization
- Feminist Philosophy
- Approaches to Intersectionality
- Science Studies with an emphasis on epistemological and ethical issues
- Coupled Epistemic-Ethical Issues in Scientific Practice, with particular emphasis on climate science
- Moral Literacy
- Founding Director, Rock Ethics Institute
Recent and Forthcoming Articles
- Tuana, Nancy. (forthcoming). Being Affected by Climate Change: The Anthropocene and the Body of Ethics. Ethics in the Anthropocene. Eds, Kenneth Shockley and Andrew Light. MIT Press.
- Nancy Tuana (forthcoming). Climate Change through the Lens of Feminist Philosophy. In Meta-Philosophical Reflection on Feminist Philosophies of Science. Maria Cristina Amoretti, Nicla Vassallo (Eds.) Dordrecht: Springer Press.
- Tuana, Nancy. (forthcoming). The Values of Science Literacy. Title Ed. Richard Duschl. Routledge/Taylor Francis.
- Tuana, N. (forthcoming). Climate change and place: Delimiting cosmopolitanism. Wahman, J., Medina, J., and Stuhr, J. (Eds.), Cosmopolitanism and Place.
- Tuana, N. and Cuomo, C. (Eds.) (2014). Introduction. Special issue of Hypatia on climate change. Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, 29(1).
- Moosa, Christine Shaheen and Nancy Tuana. (2014). Mapping a Research Agenda Concerning Gender and Climate Change: A Review of the Literature. Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2014). An Ethical Leadership Developmental Framework. A Handbook of Ethical Educational Leadership. Eds. Christopher Branson and Steven J. Gross. Routledge.
- Michael Bezzina and Nancy Tuana. (2014) An Insight into the Nature of Ethical Motivation. A Handbook of Ethical Educational Leadership. Eds. Christopher Branson and Steven J. Gross. Routledge.
- Tschakert, Petra and Nancy Tuana. (2013). Situated Resilience: Reframing Vulnerability and Security in the Context of Climate Change. Climate Change Talk: Rights, Poverty and Justice. eds. Jackie Dugard, Asuncion Lera St. Clair and Siri Gloppen. Juta Press.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2013). Gendering Climate Knowledge for Justice: Catalyzing a New Research Agenda, Margaret Alston and Kerri Whittenbury, Eds. Gender and Climate Change,forthcoming.
- Tuana, Nancy. Coming to Understand, Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, Vol. 19, No. 1 (2004): 194-232. Reprinted in Agnotology: The Cultural Production of Ignorance Robert N. Proctor and Londa Schiebinger, Stanford University Press, 2007 and the Hypatia 25th Anniversary Retrospective Virtual Issue, 2010.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2013). Embedding Ethics in the Practices of Science: Bringing Humanities to the Sciences, Synthese: An International Journal for Epistemology, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, 190, 11: 1955-1973.
- Tuana, Nancy, Ryan Sriver, Toby Svoboda, Roman Olson, Peter J. Irvine, Jacob Haqq-Misra, and Klaus Keller. (2012). Towards Integrated Ethical and Scientific Analysis of Geoengineering: A Research Agenda, Ethics, Policy and Environment Vol. 15, No. 2, 1–22.
- Goes, Marlos, Nancy Tuana, and Klaus Keller. (2011). The Economics (or lack thereof) of Aerosol Geoengineering, Climatic Change, Change, 109, 3: 719-744.
- Svoboda, Toby, Marlos Goes, Klaus Keller, and Nancy Tuana. (2011). Sulfate Aerosol Geoengineering: The Question of Justice, Public Affairs Quarterly, 25, 3: 157-180.
- Schienke, E. W., Baum, S., Tuana, N., Davis, K.J., Keller, K. (2011). Intrinsic Ethics Regarding Integrated Assessment Models for Climate Management,Science and Engineering Ethics 17, 3:503-23.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2010). Leading with Ethics, Aiming for Policy, Synthese: An International Journal for Epistemology, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, 177, 3: 471-492.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2010). Climate Change and Human Rights, Handbook of Human Rights, Chapter 33, Routledge, 2010.
- Tuana, Nancy. (2010). Engendering Philosophy of Science, in Philosophy of Science: Five Questions, VIP Press.
- The Role of the NSF Broader Impacts Criteria on Research Ethics Pedagogy, with E. Schienke, D. Brown, K. Davis, K. Keller, J. Shortle, and M. Stickler,Social Epistemology A Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Policy 23, 3-4, 2009: 317-336.
- Tuana, Nancy. Conceptualizing Moral Literacy, Journal of Educational Administration, Volume 45, Number 4, 2007, pp. 364-378
- Tuana, Nancy. Viscous Porosity: Witnessing Katrina, Material Feminisms, ed. Susan Hekman and Stacy Alaimo, Duke University Press, 2007.
- Tuana, Nancy. The Speculum of Ignorance Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, Special issue on Ethics and Epistemologies of Ignorance, 2006, 21.3 (2006) 1-19.
Selected Books and Anthologies
- Gender and Climate Change, with Carolyn Sachs and Petra Tschakert, Zed Books, forthcoming.
- Race and Epistemologies of Ignorance, SUNY Series on Philosophy and Race, (SUNY Press, 2007). Co-edited with Shannon Sullivan.
- Revealing Male Bodies, co-editor with William Cowling, Maurice Hamington, Greg Johnson, and Terrance MacMullan, Indiana University Press, 2002.
- Engendering Rationalities, co-editor with Sandra Morgan, SUNY Press, 2001.
- Feminism and Philosophy: Essential Readings in Theory, Reinterpretation, and Application, ed. with Rosemarie Tong, Westview Press, 1995
- Re-Reading the Canon: Feminist Interpretations of Plato, ed. Penn State Press, 1994
- The Less Noble Sex: Scientific, Religious and Philosophical Conceptions of Woman's Nature, Indiana University Press, 1993
- Women and the History of Philosophy, Continuum, 1992
- Feminism and Science, ed. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1989
- NSF Sustainability Research Network, Sustainable Climate Risk Management Strategies, $11.9 million, Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded 9/2012-10/2017
- NSF Ethics Education in Science and Engineering, Tuana, PI, Awarded, 08/15/2011-07/31/2014
Graduate Pedagogy for Ethical Dimensions of Coupled Natural and Human Systems Research
- NSF Ethics Education in Science and Engineering, Tuana, PI, Awarded 2006-2008
Integrating Ethics into Graduate Training in the Environmental Sciences
- American Philosophical Association, Tuana, Co-PI, Awarded, 2006-2014
Philosophy in an Inclusive Key Summer Institute